I woke up and the winds and waves had changed. These conditions wouldn’t allow me to swim with a kayak. We still sailed to our waypoint hoping the conditions would improve but by the time we got there, they didn’t. In this situation, we could have used the RHIB, but it was pushing the limit for a kayaker and increasing the risk of having a person in distress in the water. Many times when I swim with the kayak, the crew on Seeker lose visual on us but the kayaker is in constant contact with the crew with a VHF radio communicating our location. We get our
GPS position through a Yellow Brick tracker that also automatically updates our position on our website (tracker) every 10 minutes. But I am relying on the kayaker to keep the communication opened with Seeker, and if for any reason he is not able to do so, then we drastically increase our risk to not get Seeker to come to us in time in case of emergency.
So for those reasons we decided that it was unsafe to swim with the kayak today.