I am sincerely sorry for the delay this past week in sharing information on the status of our journey.
I am responsible for not finding a solution faster on how to efficiently share our latest updates with you while respecting the communication needs of our media partners. I am honored to have Seeker and Discovery as partners and grateful for the work they are producing to share our story. There are obvious obstacles when transmitting video and other information from the Pacific but we are working together to provide information in the most timely and complete manner possible.
I would like to take this opportunity to thanks all of you for your support and following our progress. We can all make a difference, and I will always keep on pushing to do my part.
Following is my log entry from day 47, the day we made the decision to go back temporarily on land.
Our lives at sea are pulsing at the beat of the weather, everything we do and how we do it, is influenced by it. In good conditions we can progress with our mission; I can swim and the crew can collect data, but in bad conditions, all activities are put on hold. In some situations it is not too clear what is safe or not and when those situations occur, as a team, we tried to take all input in and come up with the best decision, safety always being our top priority.
This morning the information we got from WRI, our weather forecaster and router partner, didn’t leave any space for interpretation or speculation. Two typhoons are coming from the east and moving in our direction with winds of 80 knots and 20 meters waves: urgent, we need to sail back west now!
This is another curveball from the weather and there is nothing we can do about it, we can only control our decisions. Here the decision was pretty clear, sailing back west. The silver lining, if there is one, is that we need to get our Torqeedo parts and getting back will help us do that. We were still hoping we could set a rendezvous though.
Nothing around us gave us any indication of what was yet to come, the sea was calm with about 10 knots of wind. It was a sunny day and we removed anything that needed to be aired out and bleached on deck. Mold had started to creep on some of our clothes and bedding. The heat, humidity and lack of ventilation down below deck were the perfect conditions for the mold to grow.
Maks put a fishing rod in the water for most of the day, his only catch was a plastic bag…he was more successful at night, he caught a fish that looked like a barracuda. We didn’t find any trace of plastic in its stomach and we kept a sample of its meat for microfiber content analysis which will be done on land by the researchers.